Monday, August 8, 2011

Cooking with Sister Brimhall

Today I went and visited with Sister Burge, one of the sweetest old ladies you'll ever meet, and a life story to go with everything.  We made some juice, and I got to cut the apples and put the fruits/veggies in the blender.

When she went to go take a nap, I sat and talked with Jessica and Sister Brimhall. And then we started cooking. :D

I learned some VERY important lessons when it comes to cooking, and lots of secrets, and I'll even share a few.    

The very first thing we made were Tortilla Tower's, which are like a quesadilla, but with multiple layers, super easy, fast, fun, and yummy.

And then I learned with one recipe for bread you can make almost ANYTHING.  It's the recipe of twos.  2 tbs sugar, 2 tsp salt,  2 cups hot water, 2 tbs yeast, 2 tbs olive oil, and 5 cups flower. And it was amazing just how many different things you can make just from that.

We made pizza, little cheese volcanoes, braided bread (my Fish :D), cinnamon rolls, baby cinnamon rolls the look like lollipops, bread sticks, knot bread, and pretzels!  Not to mention loafs of bread and more, but we ran out of dough so we didn't make everything we could have.

My Fish Bread <3
Cheese Volcano
 The best thing I learned today was "Good Enough Cooking."  And this is one thing I suggest every person should start doing when they cook, because it is such a time saver, and the food still turns out great.

"Good Enough Cooking" is where you forget about measurements, and put in ingredients where it looks like its close enough to the correct measurement.  Why bother taking out all of those little measuring spoons, when you can just put a dollop of sugar in the cup of your hand that's about a tbs? It's much faster, and you don't have to worry about cleaning up all of those little spoons.  And a dash of oil comes out to be about a tbs, so why take the extra resources, when you can just use the ones you have more effectively?

For cinnamon rolls, when you make the "secret ingredient," aka cinnamon sugar, why both measuring out the exact amount of sugar-per-cinnamon ratio, just put it together until its a good brown color.  For bread sticks just put the seasoning on until you think its good.

All of the food we made came out great, and tasted like heaven, so I can truly say, I love "Good Enough Cooking." :D <3

No comments:

Post a Comment